01452 372229

Building News

Information, news and updates in the world of building.

  • Home
    Home This is where you can find all the blog posts throughout the site.
  • Categories
    Categories Displays a list of categories from this blog.
  • Tags
    Tags Displays a list of tags that have been used in the blog.
  • Bloggers
    Bloggers Search for your favorite blogger from this site.
  • Team Blogs
    Team Blogs Find your favorite team blogs here.
  • Login
    Login Login form

Your Permitted Development Rights

  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Subscribe to this entry
  • Print

As you may be aware, there are certain developments that you can carry out on your home that do not require planning consent.

General Development Planning Orders (GDPOs) give implied planning consent for certain classes of development.  Different rules apply in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

There are strict criteria that apply to Permitted Development and it is advisable to take professional advice or check with your local authority that the work you plan is permitted.  These days many local authorities offer a consultancy service for a small fee.

An important date to bear in mind is 1948.  Any development carried out to a property since then is deemed to count towards the Permitted Development for that property.  So what can be done?

 The rear wall of a detached property may be extended up to 8m in depth with a single storey extension, subject to neighbour consultation.  This is reduced to 6m for a semi-detached or terraced house.

If you intend a two storey extension which is no higher than the house, this can project up to 3m from the original rear wall, so long as it is at least 7m from the rear boundary.

With the exception of conservatories, any new extension must be built of materials of similar appearance to and with the same roof pitch as the main house.

In addition Permitted Development covers these improvements:
•    Adding a porch
•    Carrying out internal alterations
•    Installing or erecting antenna or satellite dishes
•    Converting a loft space
•    Installing solar panels
•    New doors and windows

Next month I will take a look at how Permitted Development affects extensions and outbuildings.

If you are considering any such improvements or conversions in the Gloucester area, do give me a call on 01452 372229 and I’ll be happy to chat through your ideas.